July 10, 2008

from David H McIntyre

Hello to one and all:

It was a pleasure attending the recent reunion and celebration of Aunt
Dorothy's 90th birthday. I had not seen Aunt Dorothy in a number of years
and I am glad that I was able to make. Sadly the time was a bit short and
there were many of you that I didn't get a chance to chat with and catch up
with; I hope to do so the next time the extended clan gathers.

I did want to toss an idea into the hat for the next gathering that I think
might be of interest:

Every year on the first weekend after the forth of July the Grandfather
Mountain Highland Games and Clan Gathering
takes place on Grandfather
Mountain near Boone, North Carolina (in the Blue Ridge mountains). I believe
it's a 3 day event (I went some years ago and cannot remember for sure) and
many clans (including the Macintyre's) have tent's set up around the
perimeter of the main activity field. I believe it's the largest gathering
in the Eastern U.S and includes plenty of activities and of course pipe
bands. We stayed in a condo when I went and as I recall there are plenty of
short stay rentals available (Clearly this would have to be orchestrated in
advance to secure the proper amount of lodging).

It seems that many of the attendees at the recent event were from the East
Coast so this might be particularly attractive to many in terms of venue.

Best Regards,

David (Harvey) McIntyre

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David,
We'll throw that one into the hat too. The Schrage girls are pulling for the Pacific Northwest! It'll be hard to make everyone happy, but I guess it boils down to the planners....